ASIRT's Work With NGOs
ASIRT fosters and partners with road safety non-governmental organizations in focus countries. As part of our work in NGO outreach and development in middle-income and developing countries, ASIRT:
- Organized and led a conference, entitled “NGOs in Road Safety–From Influence to Partnership” for representatives of road safety NGOs, road safety specialists, the private sector, embassies, media and U.S. government
- Compiled a directory of two hundred NGOs, and developed and distributed a needs assessment survey to ascertain the challenges that confront NGOs and identify mechanisms for improving their effectiveness
- Coordinated World Day of Remembrance commemorative memorial programs and related road safety initiatives (“Remember and Respond”) with NGOs around the world
- Is currently developing regional road safety forums for NGOS in Africa, the Middle East, the Baltic Sea region, and Russia
- Is currently developing web-based NGO training and support resources
World Day of Remembrance for Road Crash Victims
ASIRT and other NGOs around the globe commemorate WDR in a variety of ways. This year, ASIRT launched the Wall of Remembrance on Facebook. Anyone who has been touched by a road crash is invited to share their photos and stories. View photos of other commemorations here.
U.S. Congressional Caucus on Global Road Safety Co-chair Congressman Chris Van Hollen's statement was entered in the Congressional Record, reminding everyone to participate in the effort to reduce road crashes.